Saturday, May 5, 2012

Not Your Average McMuffin

On those days that I have mere minutes to get to school or work, or just don't feel like cooking, I eat cereal.  But all of that sugary goodness just doesn't keep me full until lunchtime.  And I kinda start to get tired of it, no matter how many different brands and flavors and stuff they have.  Honestly, cereal is all the same.

So when I'm craving something rich, nutritious and savory, I choose this recipe.  I made it at LEAST once a week.  And it's awesome.  Don't believe me? Try it. Seriously.  You'll never go to McDonald's AGAIN.


NOTE! I use a vegan sausage patty because it's only 80 calories and 3 grams of fat. It tastes JUST like a pork or turkey patty, but is so much healthier.  Also, I don't eat red meat :P
I usually only barely just cook the egg because I love the runny yolk, it gives it so much more richness and it softens the bread.  But you can fully cook your egg if you want...





Ingredients 
- 1 English muffin
- 1 slice low-fat mozzarella cheese (I love Fresh N Easy's cheese deals)
- 1 Morning Star vegan sausage patty
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Olive oil and cooking spray

Directions

1. Start by lightly toasting your muffin. 
2. Add cheese on top when the edges start to brown.
3. Heat up a non-stick skillet on low and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Meanwhile, cook your patty in the microwave for 1 minute.
5. Add spinach and garlic and cook until wilted and fragrant. Don't let the garlic burn! 
6. Transfer spinach and patty to your toasted muffin. 
7. In the same skillet, coat it in cooking spray. 
8. Carefully crack your egg into the pan. Be sure heat is on low! The key is to barely cook your egg, so you still have a runny center but not overcooked and brown whites (see picture above for PERFECTLY cooked whites :P)
9. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, flipping once when the whites are set. (After you flip it, only let it cook for an additional 30 seconds otherwise your yolk will not be runny! Unless, you don't like runny yolks...>.<) 
10. Top your muffin with your beautifully fried egg and enjoy!


I sometimes use sliced gouda when I can get my hands on it because I LOVE gouda and it gives this dish a wonderfully smokey flavor.  


Yield: serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment