Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spinach and Garlic Alfredo Sauce

Oh so creamy and the easiest cream sauce you'll ever make.

Guys, I freakin' LOVE pasta.  Wait. Did you understand what I said? LOVE.  I don't think you get how much I love pasta.  I've vowed to eat healthier this year, but do you know what I refuse to give up? Pasta. And cheese.  (They're my guilty pleasures... along with shopping).  I will stop eating bread, and chocolate and oh god dare I say it: Girl Scout cookies.  Yuuuup. 


But not pasta.  Never pasta. Which brings me to my all-time favorite cream sauce recipe.  This has oodles of garlic in it, and only really requires milk and cream cheese.  No pesky roux that's all clumpy and flour-y. Ew. I don't think I'll ever go back to that type of cream sauce unless I'm so desperate for alfredo and have no cream cheese on hand.

*Makes about 2 cups of sauce
INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons butter

5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press

4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 6 pieces 

1 cup milk (1% and low fat both work well)

3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
Two handfuls of spinach, chopped
Generous sprinkling of ground black pepper

**I tend to keep the excess salt out of my recipes because I'm not a huge salt fan and because the parmesan cheese is salty enough for me, but you're welcome to add some as needed.  

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium pot or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. 
Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, taking care not to let the garlic burn. Add the cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. It will look curdled at first, but with constant whisking for 2-3 minutes, it should come together to form a smooth, creamy paste. Add the milk gradually, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking quickly and constantly until each addition is incorporated fully into the sauce. Stir in the spinach leaves, until just wilted.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt (if needed). Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is the desired consistency. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a thicker sauce or remove right after the cheese is melted for a thinner sauce. Serve immediately over hot, cooked noodles.
You can swap out spinach for cooked broccoli, or add chicken, or even substitute the parmesan cheese for cheddar for mac and cheese.  I personally like to add some shredded sautéed carrots (which I add before the garlic) to give it more color and an extra bite.  
Enjoy!



Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment